From: Lance Jacobs <lance@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Initial install issues
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:22:01
1 I have searched extensively and have not found anything related to my
2 question, but I apologize if it has been discussed here before.
3
4 I am attempting to install Gentoo on a new AMD64 box from the 2006.0
5 install CD. All the components of the system are brand new, so there
6 was no pre-existing installation of any operating system. The
7 difficulty I am having is that bunzip2, md5sum, and some functions in
8 Python will not execute properly, which makes dealing with Gentoo
9 basically impossible. I have been fighting with this for over a week,
10 and I intend to switch to an x86 install on the same hardware if I
11 cannot get this working soon.
12
13 The basic problem is that bunzip2 cannot successfully decompress most
14 files under AMD64. I succeeded in getting the stage3 tarball installed
15 by scp-ing the .tar.bz2 file over to an x86 box, running bunzip2 on it
16 there, and scp-ing the .tar file back. I had to do the same thing with
17 the portage snapshot from the install disk. I am to the point of
18 installing a kernel, but I cannot get emerge to run. I had to replace
19 every os.chown() call in portage with an equivalent call to
20 os.system("chown " + ...), and edit the ebuilds to look for .tar files
21 instead of .tar.bz2 files. I also built static copies of bunzip2 and
22 md5sum on an x86 box and placed them on the path, but no success there
23 so far. I know this all sounds crazy, but this is the 8th computer I
24 have built over the last 10 years, and my 6th Gentoo install, so I know
25 pretty well what I am doing. This is my first experience, though, with
26 AMD64, and it's making me wish I'd bought another P4 instead....
27
28 The motherboard is an MSI K8N Diamond Plus with 2 GB of OCZ DDR400 RAM
29 on it, and an OCZ 520-Watt power supply. I'm trying to install to a
30 Seagate 300 GB PATA drive, which shares the first IDE channel with the
31 DVD-ROM drive. I don't think there are any hardware issues, as the
32 system will stay up for days, and it will run memtest86 all night
33 without errors. I'm just frustrated with all the software issues, and I
34 would have given up long ago in favor of an x86 install if it were not
35 for all the messages on this list from people who seem to be running
36 Gentoo just fine on similar hardware. Any assistance you can offer will
37 be greatly appreciated.
38
39 Regards,
40 Lance Jacobs