From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect-opengl update
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:31:31
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
3 > 48B4148E.2010703@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 26 Aug 2008
4 > 10:34:54 -0400:
5 >
6 >> Yep. That's it. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I haven't
7 >> done much with overlays, so it didn't occur to me. Ever had one of
8 >> those days you couldn't do diddly right? I'm having one of those today.
9 >
10 > Yes. =:^(
11 >
12 > Sometimes, I think it's the hardware. I'll beat my head against a wall
13 > trying to fix a bug, only to giveup and shutdown. Low and behold, after
14 > a night's rest or when I come back from work, I can flip the machine back
15 > on and it works fine. On at least one occasion that was after I had
16 > repeatedly rebooted trying to fix it, too, all without success. I'm
17 > convinced that one was some capacitor saved setting or something, that
18 > wouldn't go away with a simple reboot, only when I let the machine stay
19 > off for long enough that the capacitor fully discharged, so when I
20 > restarted after letting it set for several hours, the setting was reset
21 > to machine normal and everything just "magically" worked.
24 I have a name for how things magically fix themselves. It's called a
25 'Geek Proximity Detector'. Anytime my mom has a problem, I'll go to her
26 house and it works for me. :)
27
28 I'll tell ya, you know it's bad when you can't even log into the
29 management side of the CMS you use to power the company website.
30
31 :O
36 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
39 Mark Haney
40 Sr. Systems Administrator
41 ERC Broadband
42 (828) 350-2415
43
44 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support