From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] emerge system set list
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 15:05:15
1 On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I know when I do an emerge world it looks at /var/lib/portage/world
3 > for the list of packages.
4 > I went looking for a 'system' list for the emerge system command & did
5 > not find it.
6 > I also looked in make.profile and didn't find anything likely.
7 > I also googled my query but got too many spurious matches.
8 > I'm sure there is a simple answer.
9 >
10 > I want to write a script that reads the system list, finds the
11 > binpkg's, and copies the latest to backup.
12 > I can do this easy for the world list.
13 > --
14 > Daiajo Tibdixious daiajo@×××××.com
17 With the newer versions of portage (2.2.x) you can do
18
19 emerge -pve @system
20
21 On my box it returned a result of 439 packages. Seems high, but...
22
23 You can temporarily move /var/lib/portage/world to some other name.
24 With the world file gone there's nothing to install to satisfy the
25 @world set. With this setup I did
26
27 emerge -pve @world
28
29 and got a result of 439 package, so at least there is agreement.
30
31 Now, I don't truly believe all of these 439 packages are necessary to
32 complete @system as my 32-bit Gentoo VM only has 174 packages in
33 @world.
34
35 Go figure, and don't forget to move the world file back again... ;-)
36
37 HTH,
38 Mark