From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OpenGL trouble (?)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:17:22
1 On Tuesday 21 February 2006 10.50, Jürgen Schinker wrote:
2 >
3 > Yeah but a lot user run in this trap...
4 > and at least it was the only way to get my resolution running
5 > i use 1920x1200 native...and 3D opengl
6 > so tell me how do i get rid of all this nvidia-fetch stuff...
7 >
8 > and then how to convert to a only Gentoo way
9 >
10 > and put a red warning on the howto install nvidia on Gentoo to
11 > never ever use the Nvidia-scripts
12
13 I gave a lot of thinking to this and came up with the following:
14
15 a) I removed the nvidia stuff (running the installer with --remove I think, or
16 look at the docs). No problem here.
17 b) emerge would not propose me anything else, but if you unmask nvidia-glx it
18 does (THIS should be put in red).
19 c) there are other things to unmask. I added the following to
20 package.keywords:
21
22 media-video/nvidia-glx
23 media-video/nvidia-kernel
24 app-admin/eselect
25 =app-admin/eselect-opengl-1.0.3
26
27 and then I was able to emerge the last driver.
28
29 I don't know if the fact of installing/uninstalling the nvidia stuff broke
30 something - does not seem to have so far.
31
32 I find the whole dealing with masked packages is badly explained - probably by
33 people who know the stuff so well they can't explain it clearly for newbies.
34
35 I had no time to look if that cured the problems with the games that crashed -
36 I doubt it will - but where the nvidia driver worked the Gentoo version does
37 as well.
38
39 I don't know if the nvidia how-to I read was outdated, but it never said
40 anything about unmaking anything, nor about eselct stuff.
41
42 Thierry
45 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
46 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
47 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
48 Frank Zappa
49 --
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list