From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerge firefox error
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 13:00:34
1 Michel Merinoff <mike_merinov@××××××××.uk> posted
2 44F7582E.3080606@××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Fri, 01 Sep 2006
3 01:44:14 +0400:
4
5 > Oliver Klein wrote:
6 >> So i decide to install dev-libs/atk but this tells me
9 >> !!! Digest verification failed:
10 >> !!! /usr/portage/distfiles/atk-1.12.1.tar.bz2
11 >> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
12 >> !!! Got: 641378
13 >> !!! Expected: 632397
14 >>
15 >> So please can anyone help me to install firefox?
16 >>
17 > In this case, I often did something like ebuild
18 > </usr/portage/dev-libs/atk(blah-blah).ebuild> digest. I had broken
19 > digest even after unpacking the latest snapshot of portage tree.
20
21 The problem with digest is that it makes anything there look right to
22 portage, whether it is or not. If you change something in an ebuild or
23 the sources tarball, it's appropriate to use ebuild digest because you
24 know where the changes came from. If you didn't, then for all you know,
25 the difference is due to some cracker trying to insert his own malware.
26 Sure, it's most likely just a mistake, or possibly a download error (in
27 which case you want to redownload rather than force portage to ignore the
28 error), but the point is, portage has those checks there for a reason, and
29 if you bypass them, unless you made or verified the changes yourself, you
30 have no idea whether the change is a harmless error, a bad download that
31 will break the merge or harm package functionality after merge, or a
32 cracker trying to insert malware. That's a risk you can take if you want,
33 but it's not one I choose to take! Even if that means filing a bug and
34 waiting a few days for a fix, that's what I'll do!
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list