From: Chris Forsyth <chris.forsyth@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] forcedeth weirdness - a bedtime story
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:12:05
1 Don't feel bad man, I have customers replace whole PC because the
2 machine "wouldn't boot." They refused to pull the plug and press the
3 power button instead they purchased a new machines.
4
5 Chris
9 Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
10 > Just figured out a nasty forcedeth network issue, so here's the details
11 > if anyone is interested.
12 >
13 > My new amd64 box, a cheap Compaq desktop (AMD64 3800+, nVidia
14 > MCP51 chipset), doesn't start the network properly when booting of the
15 > 2006.0 livecd (or universal cd, for that matter). Obviously it came
16 > with Windows XP, and I'm setting it up to dual boot with Gentoo on a
17 > second SATA drive (drives are cheap, and it saves having to risk
18 > resizing the NTFS partitions).
19 >
20 > I'd gone as far as buying a (cheap!) PCI network card; installed it and
21 > booted from the CD - only to discover that not only did the new card
22 > configure properly, but so did the on-board forcedeth one, that failed
23 > consistently before! So, removed the PCI card, booted up and yes, the
24 > forcedeth stuff came up fine again. Bizarre.
25 >
26 > Later, I rebooted to Windows for a while, then shutdown and rebooted
27 > from the livecd again - only to find the network was failing again! :(
28 > At this point, it occurred to me that perhaps there is something the
29 > Windows driver does to the chip that the forcedeth driver fails to
30 > reset, leaving the chip in a not-working state. Pulled the power cord
31 > out, stuffed it back in thinking this would ensure the device was reset
32 > properly - but no :( still it failed.
33 >
34 > Crawled under the desk to put the PCI card back in again, and noticed
35 > that after pulling the power cord out the power supply led remained lit
36 > for quite some seconds (5 to 10!). Ahah - fancy-pants PSU, I thought;
37 > obviously pulling the cable out and re-inserting it isn't enough to
38 > remove power. After the light had gone out, just powered up again
39 > (without putting the PCI card in after all) and lo, the interface came
40 > up fine.
41 >
42 > So the moral of the story is, if you're switching between Windows and
43 > Linux and see this problem, the way to get around it is to completely
44 > remove power and wait long enough for the PSU to switch off completely
45 > before powering up.
46 >
47 > I suspect later kernel versions may have this fixed - quite a few
48 > changes went in to the forcedeth driver around 2.17.3, but until I have
49 > the kernel built I can't say...
50 >
51 > BTW anyone else think of the "Master Control Program" whenever you see
52 > "nVidia MCP51" ;)
57 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list