From: Richard <skitfish@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Wake On LAN Issue
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:48:51
1 Good morning all,
2
3 I have an issue with my Gentoo box but it's not Gentoo-specific, or even
4 software-specific for that matter, so apologies for posting here.
5
6 I have enabled wake on LAN. I've set this up in the BIOS as well as in
7 Gentoo: ethtool is run on each boot to enable 'wol' and I've modified
8 configs and scripts so that the halt command doesn't power down my
9 network interface.
10
11 Wake on LAN works. If I initiate a 'shutdown -h now', wait for the
12 machine to power off then, in the next few minutes, send a magic packet
13 to it, it powers back up and boots. Fine.
14
15 However, if I wait a few hours before sending the magic packet, the
16 machine does not power back up and the machine can only be powered back
17 up by pressing the power button on the machine itself. After testing
18 this over and over, I know as a matter of fact that the only thing that
19 causes the magic packet to fail to power the machine back up is time; if
20 I leave it too long between powering the machine off and sending the
21 magic packet.
22
23 Has anyone else here experienced this?
24
25 Thank you in advance,
26 Richard