From: Will Briggs <will@××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ra2500 drivers for ASUS WL-167g
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:16:51
1 Daniele Salatti wrote:
2 > Hi list!! (excuse me for my english)
3 > I have some problem installing drivers for my ASUS WL-167g. I have tried
4 > an "emerge ra2500" and then "modprobe ra2500", after and before
5 > rebooting, but lsmod show that the module isn't being used and the USB
6 > dongle didn't work. I have tryed using ndiswrapper, but after modprobing
7 > I got a kernel panic... I'm desperate... :(
8 > BTW, available kernels are 2.6.16 r12 gentoo and 2.6.17 r4 gentoo.
9 > Can anyone help me? Ask me if more info are needed to solve the problem,
10 > I'll be glad to give you all the infos you need.
11 > TIA
14 G'day Daniele,
15
16 One of the first diagnostic checks with module loading etc. is to
17 "dmesg" and note any errors at the end after the failed modprobe.
18 Issues I've experienced include wrong versioning (i.e. /usr/src/linux is
19 not pointing to the tree with the same version as the version of the
20 kernel being used, so that when I build the module it is built for the
21 /usr/src/linux version not the running version of the kernel); and also
22 dependency issues - the module needs another module to load and that is
23 wrong, or is built for the wrong version.
24
25 I suspect you'll need to make sure you've got all the correct USB stuff
26 in the kernel.
27
28 To get everything clean I would do a fresh kernel build and install that
29 kernel into grub (I do it manually - make oldconfig && make && make
30 modules_install and then copy the image across). And then run
31 "modules-rebuild rebuild" which should build all the modules that you've
32 merged from the portage tree (rather than from the kernel tree). You
33 may need to "emerge module-rebuild." Then reboot.
34
35 Having said all that --> there is no ra2500 in portage only an rt2500
36 --> are you using an overlay? (post us your emerge --info). If that's
37 the case - the place to talk to is those you got the overlay from.
38
39 I'd try that before delving into ndiswrapper. Eventually you'll also
40 need the linux wireless extensions and (probably) wpa_supplicant to get
41 connection with an access point - but talking to the hardware is the
42 first step.
43
44 Oh and lastly - have you been to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_rt2500?
45