From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: System Memory
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 00:02:27
1 sean posted on Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:54:36 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > If I am reading this correctly my system here is not seeing all 8GB of
4 > memory, though the system bios does.
5 >
6 > cat /proc/meminfo
7 >
8 > MemTotal: 5581372 kB
9 >
10 > MemFree: 4051424 kB
11 >
12 > Buffers: 240436 kB
13 >
14 > Cached: 645496 kB
15 >
16 > SwapCached: 0 kB
20 > Any reason where to check why all the memory?
21
22 No time to detail ATM, but at least some of it may have to do with the
23 legacy 32-bit PCI device I/O area at the top of 32-bit memory -- that is,
24 at the top of the 4 gig address space. That takes a chunk of memory
25 address space, typically a half gig tho it may be a gig or so (but you
26 seem to have even more missing than that??) for device io use. If your
27 bios and the kernel aren't setup properly to leave a hole in the physical
28 memory address space there, the real memory addresses behind the io
29 addresses will be masked and that memory not available.
30
31 Some BIOSs actually count more memory than one has when this hole is
32 active, counting "thru" the hole, but displacing the real physical memory
33 up above 4 gig, so 8 gig may appear as 9 or 10 gig. Others do that, but
34 then subtract the memory hole, so the total returns to normal. Others
35 may simply skip that area when detecting memory and not show it at all,
36 so the memory count appears normal, even tho the hole is there.
37
38 But if you don't have that hole configured properly, you WILL lose access
39 to the real memory behind it.
40
41 Gotta run...
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman