From: Mauro Maroni <mmaroni@××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: coreutils-6.4 - cannot compile
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:57:28
1 On Thursday 09 November 2006 07:51, Duncan wrote:
2 > Mauro Maroni <mmaroni@××××××.ar> posted
3 > 200611082025.25462.mmaroni@××××××.ar, excerpted below, on Wed, 08 Nov
4 >
5 > 2006 20:25:25 -0300:
6 > > Well, then I got segfaults compiling other packages, and a couple of
7 > > times the machine freezed doing trivial things like browsing the web.
8 > > Could this be a hardware issue? RAM seems to be OK as I ran memtest
9 > > during the night and did not show any error after 9 hours.
10 >
11 > That's a classic hardware issue, yes. The cause can be one of several
12 > things. Note that there are at least two ways RAM can be bad and memtest
13 > checks only one -- memory actually corrupting in storage. From hard
14 > experience, I know the other one all too well -- AND know that memtest
15 > doesn't catch it AT ALL. That one is memory timing issues, and as
16 > memory speeds increase, it's becoming more and more common. Taking my
17 > case as an example, the RAM was rated PC3200, but simply wasn't stable at
18 > that. Unfortunately, my mobo was new enough at the time, and using the
19 > then new AMD64 memory-controller-on-CPU technology, that the BIOS didn't
20 > have the usual memory speed tweaking options. After fighting with it for
21 > some time, a BIOS upgrade was eventually made available that added these
22 > options, and a very simple (with the right BIOS option) tweak to reduce
23 > memory clocking from the rated PC3200 (200 MHz DDRed to 400, times 8 bit
24 > bus width, equals 3200) to ~PC3000 (183 MHz DDred to 366, times 8, rounds
25 > to 3000) eliminated the issue entirely. The system was then rock-stable,
26 > even after tweaking some of the detailed individual wait-state settings
27 > back up to increase the performance a bit from the defaults.
28 >
29 > So, before you eliminate memory as a possibility, check your BIOS and try
30 > declocking it a notch or two.
31
32 It has been very stable during the last days. But I will give this a try if
33 the problem comes back. Thanks a lot for your answer.
34
35 Mauro
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list