From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Sound missing in KMPlayer, etc.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 13:57:39
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 >Mark Haney posted <436FB25B.4070805@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
4 >on Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:00:27 -0500:
9 >kmplayer (at least several generations of ~amd64, not sure about stable)
10 >now has the option of using xinelib, mplayer, or gstreamer.
11 >
12 The previous install of kmplayer didn't include xine at all, and for the
13 record I use amd64 not ~amd64. I don't recall the version so that's of
14 course no help at all. Have you had much success viewing windows media
15 WMV files? If so, what USE flags did you use?
16
17 > (You may have
18 >to recompile with the proper USE flags to get that option.) Here, I've
19 >has poor luck with mplayer, but xine has worked well. Haven't tried
20 >gstreamer. mplayer is just too hard to get the right plugins, it seems.
21 >xinelib "just works" a larger percentage of the time without fiddling with
22 >extra plugins. YMMV, but I read a similar post from someone else
23 >somewhere, and knew I was having issues with mplayer, and sure enough,
24 >xinelib worked far better for me. Perhaps mplayer could have been made to
25 >work, but I didn't have to "make" xinelib work at all, it just did, once
26 >merged (and with kmplayer remerged to use it).
33 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
34
35 Mark Haney
36 Sr. Systems Administrator
37 ERC Broadband