From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Update config files
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:08:11
1 Mark Haney posted <43C2D21B.9040303@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:14:03 -0500:
3
4 > What's the best way to update config files? I am a big fan of RH's method
5 > of dealing with them, and can't stand the way Debian does it, so how do
6 > the majority of Gentoo users manage their config files?
7
8 You have the answer in other posts (etc-update, or dispatch-conf, if you
9 want to keep an RCS history of config file versions), but the very fact
10 that you are even asking the question means you haven't read the handbook
11 very well, and very possibly haven't read other than the install section
12 at all!
13
14 That's seriously distressing, as it means you are missing a *LOT*
15 of *VERY* *USEFUL* information, information that will make administration
16 of your Gentoo system *MUCH* easier!
17
18 Here's the link to the contents page for the Gentoo Handbook, amd64
19 version:
20
21 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml
22
23 I'd /seriously/ recommend that you go back and read the "Working with
24 Gentoo" and "Working with Portage" sections. Some chapters you can safely
25 scan, rather than actually reading them. This is particularly true of the
26 stuff about ebuild and initscript internals. However, other parts are
27 critical to a smooth experience as a Gentoo user (== a Gentoo
28 system sysadmin).
29
30 Gentoo is rightly recognized for having some of the BEST user
31 documentation out there, in terms of Linux distributions. Why not use
32 this great resource at your disposal, particularly when it makes your life
33 as a Gentoo system sysadmin /so/ much easier?
34
35 When you are done there, consider reading the manpages for emerge and
36 portage at least.
37
38 My favorite hint, covered in the handbook but I'll emphasize it here as
39 well, is FEATURES=buildpkg, which will give you binary package backups of
40 everything you merge. This is a big time and a** saver, allowing you to
41 quickly revert to an older version of a package if you suspect a new one
42 might be causing issues, then return to the new version if you find it
43 isn't, all without forcing you to recompile the package in question, since
44 you have a binary package, created during your original merge, available.
45 Equally helpful, it's far easier to recover from portage or gcc breakage
46 if you have binary packages available locally. The buildpkg feature will
47 require 1-4 gigs of additional space, to store all those binary packages.
48 A gig will do it, but 4 gigs allows you to keep multiple versions of the
49 fastest moving packages around, and won't require cleaning out old
50 versions as often.
51
52 Of course, the answer to your question, how to deal with config file
53 updates, is covered in the handbook as well.
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
59 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
63 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list