From: Nadav Horesh <nadavh@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gnome installation problem: unreslved references in the gst libraries
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 05:27:39
1 O.K, I have a previous installation of gstreamer-0.8.11. I'll try to dismiss it, but it may not be trivial.
2
3 B.T.W
4 The speed of xfce (at least relative to gnome) come from that that most desktop actions are at your fingertips, so don't have to move your arm that much.
7 Nadav.
8
9 -----Original Message-----
10 From: news on behalf of Duncan
11 Sent: Wed 10-Oct-07 11:27
12 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
13 Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: gnome installation problem: unreslved references in the gst libraries
14
15 "Nadav Horesh" <nadavh@×××××××××××.com> posted
16 710F2847B0018641891D9A21602763600B6DF0@×××××××××××××××.il, excerpted
17 below, on Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:13:16 +0200:
18
19 > I set the compilation flags to the recommended (-O2 -march=k -pipe)
20
21 Hope the above is a typo. That should be -march=k8 (you missed the 8).
22 I'd simply assume it was a typo and not mention it, but if that turned
23 out to be the problem... =8^(
24
25 > and the make option to J1, re-emerged
26 > the whole gstream&friends packages. But it did not help. It looks that
27 > the problem is that when trying to emerge media-related gnome packages
28 > they are not linked against the right gstxxx libraries.
29
30 Well, it was a shot in the dark anyway...
31
32 BTW, something in the above prodded my memory... You don't still happen
33 to have the old gstreamer 0.8 series do you? Current is 0.10 series, and
34 it's possible if you still have some of the old stuff around, that's
35 what's causing the incompatibility.
36
37 > Nadav.
38 >
39 > N.B.
40 >
41 > 1. I am a speed freak, thus I use XFCE. I use the gnome package mainly
42 > for its utilities.
43
44 I like speed, but I like control and features better, I think, and since
45 I have a dual Opteron, RAID, and an almost embarrassing 8 gigs memory,
46 I've obviously thrown hardware at the problem rather than go the
47 conservative memory route. =8^P (I've observed to myself several times
48 that the hardware folks should really be pushing Linux, as if folks don't
49 spend the money on software, they have that much more to spend on
50 hardware... and I've done just that! =8^)
51
52 Still, I'd certainly try and may stay xfce if I were running a more
53 conventional single disk, single cpu/core, half-gig memory or less
54 system. Of course, I'd be much more likely to be doing it on a binary
55 distribution instead of Gentoo in that case, but anyway...
56
57 2. I did use your recommended flags as you mentioned.
58
59 =8^) I figured that was too close to be coincidence.
60
61 The main thing I worry about is that while yes, it's great playing around
62 with these nice fancy CFLAG options, I hope that folks don't miss the
63 fact that to some extent it is "out there" a bit, and as such, it /will/
64 mean fighting with things every once in awhile to get stuff compiled,
65 where a more conservative "-march=k8 -O2 -pipe" will be /almost/ as good,
66 and more likely to "just work", with less emerge failures and the like.
67
68 I recognize that not all computer users have the luxury of treating
69 computing as a hobby, as I do, and that some prefer it "just work", and
70 the less hassle to get to that state, the happier they'll be. (I OTOH
71 enjoy a bit of a challenge on occasion, the precise reason I like
72 bleeding edge. If it always "just worked", I'd be about as likely to
73 find it interesting as a hobby as I am to find staring at the microwave
74 or freezer "interesting"! =8^)
75
76 The concern therefore is that folks will grab my options and then wonder
77 why they don't always work, as much as it is countering the myth that
78 one /cannot/ run such options regularly, and only the ricers and insane
79 try. It's fine to want to experiment and run unusual cflags and test new
80 packages, and in fact, /someone/ as to do it, as long as you realize the
81 extra investment in time and occasional hassle it's likely to bring with
82 it. =8^)
83
84 But it looks like you are pretty well aware of the issues already, and
85 have made your choice knowing the tradeoffs.
90 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
93 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

winmail.dat application/ms-tnef