From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kde4, xorg, xf86-video-ati/radeon, and multi-panel display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:03:46
1 2008/11/23 ABCD <en.ABCD@×××××.com>:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Duncan wrote:
6 >> I've chosen not to try the not-full-releases since I gave up on the betas
7 >> earlier. Additionally... well let's just put it this way, paludis, no
8 >> way, no how, so that has been another encouragement not to do the KDE SVN
9 >> stuff since the Gentoo/KDE folks started requiring paludis for it. Thus,
10 >> I'm sticking with 4.1.x since that's what's released.
11 >
12 > The paludis requirement has been completely dropped at this point - to
13 > get the >=4.1.79 or SVN versions of KDE, you just need to use the
14 > kde-crazy overlay, which works with any EAPI-2-compatible PM. (-4.1.79
15 > is keyworded ~arch, -9999 needed to be keyworded "**" in p.kewords, and
16 > - -4.1.80 is p.masked until it is released upstream)
17 >
18 this is not the genkde overlay based on kdebuild system. this system
19 is still usable only
20 on paludis. i can say that in some way it's a little better than the
21 old eapi system but
22 still, the non ability for binpkg of paludis is bad when you have
23 issues mainstream,
24 and in a development svn you'll most likely to have them at least once
25 every two weeks.
26 so paludis forces you to manually resync for a previous version and
27 hope it works. sometimes
28 you might end up doing more than one resync per package, and for big
29 ones like amarok, k3b
30 kdepim is meaning a lot of headache. at lest with binpkgs you can
31 always revert back when
32 something is not working.
38 dott. ing. beso