From: Ryan Dagey <dts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] External USB HD
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 23:21:39
1 Hello Gurus:
5 We have an office Gentoo server that I want to configure to run backups on
6 an external USB drive. I've attempted this in the past and ended up
7 purchasing one that was not compatible (I don't recall the name, started
8 with a B I believe). The issue was lack of Linux drivers/support, only
9 Windows. So I thought it prudent to see if you guys had an experience with
10 external drives that work well with Gentoo. Plug and play of course, as the
11 drive will be moved to a fire safe when not in engaging backup, but I doubt
12 that will be an issue with USB connectivity. It doesn't need any bells and
13 whistles like some of the secure drive have, but we would consider any such
14 benefits. We would need at least 1-2TB, price isn't as much of a concern as
15 it is for a business client. It is a 64-bit machine, so 32-bit only is out,
16 not sure if that's as big of a concern anymore.
20 Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
26 Ryan