From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 14:16:40
1 Those of you kde-ers, particularly kde3-ers (aka stable kde-ers),
2 heads-up!
3
4 If you aren't aware of the current gentoo kde (especially kde3)
5 situation, you *NEED* to subscribe to the gentoo-desktop list (normally
6 lower activity than here, so it shouldn't be a huge burden), AND check
7 the archives for the last couple months.
8
9 The short version: kde3 is likely going to be masked, soon, apparently
10 very possibly before any kde4 is ever marked stable. The current plan is
11 to leave kde3 in-tree but masked, probably until early next year, at
12 which point it'll move to an overlay, kde-sunset or similarly named,
13 where it'll be maintained primarily by interested users.
14
15 If any Gentoo kde3 user has the skills and time to volunteer,
16 particularly if you are /not/ planning to move to kde4 in the near
17 future, they're looking for a Gentoo kde3 dev or two, and/or skilled kde3
18 users who can devote time to it.
19
20 The reasoning is multi-fold. Unfortunately, while upstream KDE gets all
21 nasty if you try to call kde3 unmaintained and asegio famously blogged a
22 year or so ago that it would be maintained as long as there were users,
23 apparently, unmaintained is what it's becoming in actual practice,
24 regardless of /what/ upstream kde wants to call it. What's happening is
25 that they aren't strongly encouraging KDE devs to continue to maintain
26 the old kde3 apps. (Note that with KDE as much of FLOSS, many of the devs
27 are unpaid volunteers, and volunteers can hardly be forced, but strong
28 encouragement is certainly possible.) As a result, bugs filed on kde3
29 apps are increasingly being closed as unmaintained version, upgrade.
30
31 Of course, qt3 upon which kde3 depends is in similar or even worse shape
32 (except that it was in arguably better shape when it went unsupported, as
33 until then, people had been paid to keep it working, even if they'd have
34 otherwise preferred to be working on the newer versions), apparently not
35 supported any longer by its own (commercial FLOSS) upstream.
36
37 Unfortunately, all this is complicated by the state of kde4, in many ways
38 a mirror image of kde3 -- specifically like a mirror image in that it's
39 similar, but nicely reversed. kde4 is getting all sorts of developer
40 attention, but again despite what upstream says, it's anything /but/ as
41 stable and smoothly functional and polished as kde3 is. I'm normally an
42 early adopter, running ~arch and in fact often unmasking and even
43 reaching into overlays for fresh versions, often beta or rc, sometimes
44 even live-vcs versions direct from the upstream repositories.
45
46 Despite all that and despite the fact that upstream kde recommended 4.2
47 for most users and calls 4.3 fully stable, 4.2.4 was /barely/ getting
48 functional enough to be able to work in it well enough for me to start
49 transferring settings and otherwise getting serious about switching to
50 kde4. Despite the recommendation, in practice, as a user that regularly
51 runs development versions, betas and rcs, 4.2.4 was therefore /barely/
52 what I'd call early beta. 4.3 (as every kde4 version so far) is markedly
53 better than the previous version, but there's still a LOT of broken
54 functionality, features still rapidly evolving, etc.
55
56 kde4.3 therefore at what I'd normally consider the late-beta stage.
57 User's who actually used and depended on the previous version for
58 anything beyond basic functionality shouldn't be upgrading yet unless
59 they're prepared to spend HOURS, in this case, DAYS, even WEEKS,
60 upgrading, finding fixes and workarounds for bugs, even switching to
61 alternative software solutions at times when the functionality simply
62 isn't there. I estimate I've spent about 80 hours on the upgrade and
63 reconfiguring, all told. Now, a major version switch is a major version
64 switch, and users WILL need to spend SOME time reconfiguring and
65 adapting, but perhaps 20-40 hours is reasonable, NOT 80! 80 hours, two
66 weeks of full-time 40-hour-week equivalent work, simply indicates how
67 immature and broken some aspects of the project still are, thus
68 necessitating workarounds and the like. (If anybody wants hard examples,
69 I can list the issues I had and have here, but this post is long enough
70 without it. Ask, or check kde's general and kde-linux lists archives for
71 the last couple months.)
72
73 Or, put another way, there are solid reasons no kde4 is unmasked to
74 gentoo stable yet.
75
76 As I said, every new kde4 version is solidly improved from the previous
77 one, but by kde3.5, it was very very polished, very very functional, very
78 very fully featured, and very very depended on, at least here. kde4
79 /was/ basically a ground-up rewrite, and given how mature, functional and
80 well polished kde3 was, they had a *LOT* of ground to cover. So while
81 kde4 *IS* is progressing well and rapidly, it's /just/ /not/ /there/
82 /yet/. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither has it ever been /re/built in
83 a day.
84
85 I estimate that given current progress, kde4.5 will finally compare well
86 against 3.5. The further 4.3.x releases should be much like -rc versions
87 normally are, and 4.4, scheduled for early next year, should be much like
88 the infamous x.0 releases that early adopters that didn't hit the betas
89 use, but that many users forego, in favor of x.1, which should be 4.5
90 (scheduled for 3Q2010, minors are semi-annual and 4.3 was early this
91 month, so 4.5 should be ~1 year from now). Thus, 4.3 is sort of usable
92 for beta tester types -- requiring a lot of user workaround and
93 adjustment, 4.4 should hopefully be reasonably usable by ordinary people
94 (what kde folks claimed 4.2 was, I /do/ expect 4.4 to hit this as they /
95 are/ finally hitting the fit and finish bugs that make a release fit for
96 ordinary users), and 4.5 should finally be a mature product, nearly bug
97 free and usable by nearly everyone.
98
99 But kde4 is a mirror in another regard as well, as unlike most upgrades,
100 it seems the more advanced a user you are, the more trouble the upgrade
101 tends to be. This seems to be at least partially because the basic/core
102 functionality plus some nice eye candy was implemented first, and it was
103 then released, with the more advanced functionality that kde3 advanced
104 users depended on still broken. Thus, users who seldom change the
105 defaults and are easily impressed when eye candy is made the default,
106 /did/ in many cases find 4.2, or even earlier, usable. It's the folks
107 that depended on 3.5's advanced functionality that are having the worst
108 upgrade problems, because much of that functionality is still only
109 partially working.
110
111 Regardless, the fact remains that kde4.3 is not yet in a really usable
112 state for many, at least not without DAYS or even WEEKS worth of
113 workarounds, fixes, and tweaks. Of course, that makes the situation with
114 kde3 even more dire, as it now looks likely that Gentoo KDE users, as KDE
115 users on various other distributions before, will likely be rather
116 strongly pushed toward the immature and not yet ready new version, as the
117 older well functioning version goes unsupported before the smooth upgrade
118 path has been established. For Gentoo/KDE, that could well mean users
119 will find 3.x masked before any 4.x at all is keyword-unmasked to stable.
120
121 The above is further complicated by a couple Gentoo-specific factors. Of
122 course, being a source-based distribution, the quality of the kde3/qt3
123 sources affects Gentoo users (and therefore devs) more than the typical
124 binary distribution user. Sources that don't build without workarounds
125 can often be handled by the skilled binary distribution devs doing the
126 building for them, yet be entirely unsatisfactory for general Gentoo use
127 because here, every user, including those who don't know much about
128 upstream at all and who lack the skills necessary to do those
129 workarounds, has to build from source. Thus, as the upstream kde3/qt3
130 sources go stale and fail to build without intervention against newer
131 system libraries and with newer gccs, it's putting ever more strain on
132 the Gentoo/KDE devs and project testers to support them.
133
134 Second, it seems that no Gentoo/KDE project members are actually still
135 running kde3 as their normal desktop -- they've all migrated to kde4.
136 Thus the urgent request for skilled kde3 users, with or without an
137 interest in becoming a Gentoo dev, to volunteer to help out. (Still,
138 it's worth mentioning that apparently unlike kde upstream, there's
139 effective pressure, and caring devs/testers, enough to /try/ to keep it
140 functioning, regardless of their personal interest in it, because they
141 know users continue to depend on it.) How successful they are at
142 actually attracting such skilled kde3 users, and how long those skilled
143 kde3 users remain using it and how much time they have available to
144 invest in the project, thus /very/ much affects how long and under what
145 conditions Gentoo can continue to provide a usable kde3 to /it's/ users.
148 So where does that actually leave us?
149
150 Well, to a large extent that depends on a number of factors that remain
151 unknowns ATM. The current Gentoo/KDE kde4 stabilization target is 4.3.1,
152 which should be release in a few weeks. As I said, upstream is finally
153 fixing many of the remaining serious bugs, so this is reasonable, but not
154 assured. There's of course a couple other factors (python issues, etc)
155 involved whether 4.3.1 will actually make stable or not, and even if it
156 does, we're looking at six weeks or so, minimum (I'm not sure when 4.3.1
157 is scheduled for upstream release, but Gentoo policy is 30 days without
158 bugs, so it'd be a minimum 30 days after that). That's early October at
159 the earliest. If there's complications and/or it has to wait until
160 4.3.2, we're looking at, perhaps, stable kde4 as a Christmas present.
161
162 Gentoo's kde3 remaining time and status depends very much on the evolving
163 security situation, as well as how successful they are at attracting
164 someone, preferably someone who is or can become a Gentoo dev, to
165 basically dedicate themselves to it.
166
167 Apparently, upstream maintenance is in severe enough a state (again,
168 despite asegio's very public claim that kde3 will continue to be
169 supported as long as there are users, and despite the fact they get
170 unhappy when people say it's unsupported) that there are very real
171 questions about the ability to provide security updates, as the normal
172 stream of browser vulnerability announcements, etc, continues. Depending
173 on how serious a vuln is and what components are affected, etc, there's
174 some chance that various other distributions will continue to cooperate
175 in coming up with patches, but the list of distributions continuing to
176 ship a full kde3 is continuing to shrink. Still, there's some government
177 and other reasonably large long term kde3 consultancy and support
178 contracts in Europe, so some patches will no doubt continue to flow for
179 another, probably, two years anyway, regardless of mainline distribution
180 and upstream support.
181
182 But anyway, they're now playing it by ear in terms of security
183 vulnerabilities, and if a big one comes up (for all I know there may
184 already be one that's not yet public), and there's no forthcoming
185 patches, it'll mean rather short-notice kde3 masking, very possibly,
186 according to the summary of the last Gentoo/KDE project meeting as posted
187 in -desktop (the reason people concerned about kde should be following
188 that list, that's where those summaries go, and thus the reason I have
189 all this information and can post it), without a kde4 of any kind being
190 stable yet.
191
192 It's based on THAT that I decided to post this. People still using and
193 depending on kde3 **NEED** to know what could well be happening to their
194 desktop.
195
196 According to that summary, they do plan to keep kde3 in-tree for a few
197 more months, probably until early next year some time, before booting it
198 to the kde-sunset or whatever they decide to call it, overlay. However,
199 it's likely to be masked from late this year, as I said, possibly within
200 weeks if the security situation warrants it.
201
202 That said, if possible, they do want a stable kde4 before kde3 gets
203 masked -- but it's now no longer considered a given.
204
205 Meanwhile, again according to the summary, the goal before actual removal
206 from tree, is EITHER one of: TWO kde4 "minor" versions stabilized, OR at
207 least kde4.4 out, and at least ONE "minor" version stabilized. "Minor"
208 is in quotes, there, because it's not clear to me exactly what they mean
209 in that regard. "Minor" in normal usage would be 4.3, 4.4, etc, but if
210 that's what's intended, and a 4.3 version does indeed make it to stable,
211 then the two OR conditions look pretty close to identical, since 4.4
212 would then be the second "minor" version stabilized. Thus, I'm wondering
213 if they actually meant "micro" aka "patch" version, which would fulfill
214 the two-stable-version requirement if 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 are stabilized,
215 thus distinguishing it better from having a 4.4 version out and
216 preferably stable. Significantly, however, that's removal from the tree
217 to the overlay. I know I'm repeating myself but it's important to
218 understand, kde3 could well be masked in September, if events warrant it,
219 and if so, it'll almost certainly mean NO UNMASKED/STABLE KDE IN THE TREE
220 AT ALL for some weeks, until some version of kde4 is deemed to have
221 reached that level!
222
223 So as I said, currently, they plan to remove kde3 from the tree (where it
224 will have probably completed the last few months in-tree masked), along
225 with all packages depending on kde3, sometime 1H2010 (first half next
226 year). qt3 and all qt3 dependencies will follow shortly thereafter, so
227 likely before this time next year. Both will be headed to overlays, with
228 the viability of the overlays, at least the kde-sunset overlay, almost
229 certainly depending on skilled users, not kde devs.
230
231 All that can be summarized in one sentence: If you are currently a kde3
232 user and have NOT yet figured out where you're moving to from there, you
233 **BETTER** get a move on!
234
235 FWIW, they *DO* plan to announce it on the Gentoo front-page, in the user
236 forum, and via the gentoo tree package news mechanism, before the
237 masking, and likely again before the final move out of tree to the
238 overlay. However, given the time it took /me/ to accomplish the upgrade
239 and the serious trouble I had getting actually working kde4 or suitable
240 non-kde replacements for all the functionality I depend on, AND the usual
241 churn that accompanies a major desktop upgrade of that nature even if
242 everything technically goes off without a hitch, I decided a bit of an
243 additional heads-up warning would likely be appreciated by anyone still
244 on kde3, particularly if they've not yet started preparing for the
245 inevitable and now rather shortly pending.
250 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman