From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: XOrg 6.9
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:36:45
1 Sebastian Redl posted <43C2D107.9090204@×××××××××××.at>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:09:27 +0100:
3
4 > Francesco Talamona wrote:
5 >
6 >>I also made a little script to help unmask all the packages needed,
7 >>anyway it is a process quite tedious :-)
10 > Care to share? It is indeed quite tedious.
11
12 Umm... xorg-x11-7.0 has been out for some time, altho it's still
13 currently masked as there remain around 400 packages that don't have their
14 dependencies set up correctly for modular X. The latest GWN (see the
15 Gentoo.org website for regular issues, but this one linked below) has
16 links to the relevant threads on the dev list, and a list (updated ~daily)
17 of the packages (mostly games) that still need the deps changed.
18
19 There's also an official modular-X migration HOWTO, linked in GWN, but
20 I'll link it below as well. Going by it should be MUCH safer, and reduce
21 the tedium of all those unmasks, as it's done in a single step, no script
22 required. (Hint, simply take the list from the main package.mask file and
23 copy it to your local package.unmask file, no tedious unmasking
24 one-at-a-time required!)
25
26 A special warning for those that are running a stable system with certain
27 unstable packages, however! Many of the packages that have already had
28 deps migrated have ONLY had them migrated in the latest ~arch versions!
29 If you are running a mostly stable amd64 system, there are MANY MORE
30 packages that won't have updated deps, probably closer to 1000 packages,
31 including many you likely have merged. Putting the still masked xorg-7.0
32 on such a system is pretty much /begging/ for trouble!
33
34 xorg-x11-7.0 is headed for the move to ~arch, certainly, and as such, is
35 being actively supported in terms of bug reports and the like for ~arch
36 users. However, I would **NOT** recommend that regular/stable arch users
37 try it, as you could be in for some rather serious instability if you do,
38 and presumably, arch users don't want that.
39
40 As a base ~arch user here, running various still masked packages including
41 gcc-4.0.2 and gcc-4.1.0-snapshots, I've been running xorg-x11-7.0 for some
42 time now, with little problem. I even compiled it with gcc-4.1.0!
43 However, I'm not running anything still on the dep-unported list, the
44 plurality (~120 packages IIRC) of which are games, and my entire system is
45 at least ~amd64, if not even still-masked due to bleeding-edgeness stuff.
46 Again, I'd actively discourage anyone running stable arch from trying
47 xorg-x11-7.0 at this point, as you will very likely find problems you
48 have expressed an interest in /not/ dealing with, given your choice of
49 stable. Those with a heavy gaming interest may also wish to wait, as
50 there remain quite a few dep-unported gaming packages.
51
52 That migration HOWTO:
53 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml
54
55 GWN coverage (slightly outdated even as it was released, but still
56 quite informative):
57 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060130-newsletter.xml
62 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
63 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
67 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list