From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is 2005 broken?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:49:19
Tim Ames posted
<6.2.0.14.2.20050709130256.027253c8@××××××××××××××××××.org>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:05:25 -0700:

> Thanks for the reply. I updated the bios on the sk8v with the beta version > that was posted on the asus website. > > bad news got a cmos error. Went through all the proper steps, called tech > at asus and I fried the bios chip they > are sending me a new one, so next week I'll try this again. But this was a > fresh install, fresh fdisk and I did the first emerge sync and this happened.
You've /gotta/ have something /seriously/ wrong with that thing! MD5s going crazy, a BIOS update failing (I've /never/ seen that happen unless the power dies in the middle). There's just too much weird stuff going on for it to be anything but hardware! Hopefully, it was the old BIOS, and an entirely new chip fixes it. If not, I'd consider switching boards or memory or CPU or SOMETHING! If that isn't possible, then yes, on that one, I'd say run a binary install of /something/, because if it's that unstable, I can't believe you could reliably compile stuff either, and if you can't do that, who's to say /what/ you'll find yourself overwriting, so better go with precompiled binaries. Even then, you've no idea when it'll suddenly start overwriting stuff on your disk, so be prepared to reinstall when needed, and keep daily, even hourly, backups, to clean media each time so it can't overwrite /that/ with crazy stuff! -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list