From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: USB 2.0 falling back to full-speed
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:41:37
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> posted pan.2008.09.22.14.04.10@×××.net,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:04:10 +0000:
3
4 > FWIW, 2.6.27-rc7 is out now tho I've not tried it yet. ... And my
5 > compiling problem turned out to be due to usage of the KBUILD_OUTPUT var
6 > to set the output-dir, as detailed in the makefile. That's certainly a
7 > bug since it /is/ documented in the makefile, but at least there's a way
8 > around it now.
9
10 Well, playing around with -rc7, I finally figured out what I was doing
11 wrong, and yes, it was a PEBCAK bug! =:^( I had been copying the
12 KBUILD_OUTPUT dir from the old kernel to the new one, thus apparently
13 saving a few hundred jobs of copying header files from the sources dir
14 into the outputdir and the like. (Running -j, unlimited jobs, I'd peak at
15 180 or so copying over the old working outputdir, something over 400
16 without).
17
18 Only between -rc1 and -rc2 for 2.6.27, they changed the location of a
19 bunch of header files, and the old headers in the outputdir/include
20 subdir were fighting with the new ones.
21
22 By starting with an entirely clean outputdir (but for the old .config,
23 which I run make oldconfig on, first thing), everything worked the way it
24 was supposed to. So I reclosed the bug, rejected-invalid.
25
26 I guess I know for next time, now.
27
28 (BTW, Beso, that's why you haven't heard anything from me lately on my
29 kernel scripts... I was wondering what might be wrong with them... Now I
30 have to think a bit and probably change a couple things... wouldn't want
31 anyone else to be stumped by the same problem I was, due to my scripts...)
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman