From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] openoffice 2 compiles?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:33:36
1 Hanno Meyer-Thurow wrote:
2
3 >Why I call it 64bit hacks?
4 >That patchset for 64bit support lets OpenOffice.org compile on amd64
5 >but then runtime is still unstable. One thing is to make OpenOffice.org
6 >compile on amd64. The other thing is to make OpenOffice.org runtime
7 >stable. That means some code just does not need fixing but a full
8 >rewrite from scratch until it works nicely on amd64.
9 >
10 >If I say something wrong anyone please correct me! Thanks.
13 Well, I disagree that the code needs a full rewrite. Why? All it needs
14 is correcting all places where it attempts to store pointers in 32-bit
15 variables. Admittedly, in the core of UNO this might happen a LOT (due
16 to its nature it does a lot of direct memory manipulation), but there's
17 no real reason why it should be re-written from scratch.
18 If the UNO runtime violated other portability issues (such as code
19 execution protection), it wouldn't run at all in 64-bit mode, perhaps
20 not even when compiled as 32-bit.
21
22 Sebastian Redl
23 --