From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] openoffice 2 compiles?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:33:36
Hanno Meyer-Thurow wrote:

>Why I call it 64bit hacks? >That patchset for 64bit support lets compile on amd64 >but then runtime is still unstable. One thing is to make >compile on amd64. The other thing is to make runtime >stable. That means some code just does not need fixing but a full >rewrite from scratch until it works nicely on amd64. > >If I say something wrong anyone please correct me! Thanks. > >
Well, I disagree that the code needs a full rewrite. Why? All it needs is correcting all places where it attempts to store pointers in 32-bit variables. Admittedly, in the core of UNO this might happen a LOT (due to its nature it does a lot of direct memory manipulation), but there's no real reason why it should be re-written from scratch. If the UNO runtime violated other portability issues (such as code execution protection), it wouldn't run at all in 64-bit mode, perhaps not even when compiled as 32-bit. Sebastian Redl -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] openoffice 2 compiles? Hanno Meyer-Thurow <h.mth@×××.de>