From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [OT] AGPART [SOLVED]
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 09:17:55
1 Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> posted
2 20070505075815.DE6FA92266@×××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sat, 05
3 May 2007 10:58:13 +0300:
4
5 > Duncan, thanks for your most detailed answer. Now I know an additional
6 > thing that should be done when compiling a kernel for systems with >3.5G
7 > RAM. Unfortunately I've got no such "problem" ;-) and I'm happy with my
8 > 1G of RAM. It gets rarely used at 100%. Actually only in situations like
9 > compilation of updated packages + web surfing in the same time. Beryl
10 > and Firefox are my biggest resident memory hogs.
11
12 Well, 4 gigs RAM or so opens some real nice possibilities, particularly
13 on Gentoo. Among other things, one can point PORTAGE_TMPDIR at a tmpfs,
14 and compile most things entirely in memory! =8^) Of course, not only
15 does that speed up compiles significantly, but it decreases I/O
16 contention, so the rest of your system, especially read/write to disk,
17 remains much more responsive during compiles. Combine that with
18 MAKEOPTS="-j1" on a dual-core or dual CPU, and/or PORTAGE_NICENESS=19,
19 and compiles don't bother you at all.
20
21 However, for normal use, 2 gigs seems a very good balance, as at least
22 here. I'll run half a gig to a gig of app memory, leaving a gig of memory
23 for cache. With a gig of memory, the system still works very well, but
24 most of cache is thrown away during memory intensive tasks (like some
25 compiles, or working with large image files or the like), and I really /
26 hate/ to see that happen, when I know I'll only have to read that data
27 back in from disk later. Two gigs is enough to use a gig of app memory
28 at times and still have a gig of cache that's doesn't have to be thrown
29 out on top of that, so it's a nice sweet spot.
30
31 Actually, here, I have 8 gigs. That's a bit overkill. I'd probably
32 stick with four if I were doing it over, as over four gigs remains
33 entirely empty, most of the time, not even used for cache. Still, I have
34 dual Opterons now, and was buying with dual-cores in mind. 8 gig of
35 memory should still be plenty with dual dual-cores, even out three more
36 years, which is when I expect to start getting serious about upgrading my
37 entire platform once again. So the 8 gig was future-proofing, and I
38 certainly accomplished that. Still, it's the first time I can honestly
39 say I've had so much memory I rarely fill it up, even with cache, and
40 it's nice to have had the experience at least /once/ in my life. =8^)
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
48 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list