From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Portage Fails To Find Updates
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:02:06
1 On 12/14/2009 07:43 PM, Frank Peters wrote:
2 > Today, doing an "emerge -pvDu world" I get the report that no packages
3 > need to be updated.
4 >
5 > But while checking the status of another package, I happen to execute
6 > "emerge -pv rpm2targz." This then reports that the package rpm2targz
7 > needs to be updated.
8 >
9 > Why didn't the "emerge -pvDu world" tell me about this?
10 >
11 > Further checking reveals that all packages that are installed on my
12 > machine are contained in the /var/db/pkg directory. However, the "world"
13 > file, which is located at /var/lib/portage/world, should contain the same
14 > listing but it does not. I notice that some packages in /var/db/pkg
15 > are not listed in /var/lib/portage/world.
16 >
17 > Actually, the "world" file has 257 entries, while the "/var/lib/portage/world"
18 > directory contains 414 packages.
19 >
20 > Why has portage failed to add all packages to the "world" file?
21 > Have I been doing something wrong?
22 >
23 > In any case, I can rebuild the world file manually to accurately
24 > reflect the state my system, but, based upon this current observation,
25 > portage may fail to keep it accurate in the future.
26 >
27 > What is going on here?
28
29 What's going on is that you missed a few stuff about how Gentoo works :P
30
31 The world file contains the packages you merged yourself, not
32 dependencies of packages pulled-in automatically. Packages that are
33 dependencies of other packages should never be in world.
34
35 "emerge -pvDu world" will not update packages that are build-time
36 dependencies of other packages (as opposed to run-time deps). If you
37 want build-time deps updated too, you should also specify
38 "--with-bdeps=y" in the emerge command.
39
40 Hope that helps :)