From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] multicore strange issue
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:01:03
1 On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 09:01 +0000, Beso wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > i've got a strange problem with my new notebook pc. i've bought a pc
5 > with an amd athlon 64 x2 processor with 2 cores, an atheros board and
6 > an rs690 ati.
7 > my old pc was a turion 64 with an atheros board and an rs480. now the
8 > components inside are all about the same so i've just copied the old
9 > gentoo system into the new pc and tried to recompile the kernel to
10 > have it tuned for the new processor. so the thing i've done was to
11 > activate the symetric multiprocessing and set to compiled into the
12 > kernel of md4, md5, md6 and aes x86_64 chipers for a luks /home
13 > chipering.
14 > the problem is that with the old normal config the kernel detects one
15 > processor and one core and it works, loading the modules, but when
16 > enabling simetric multiprocessing the kernel detects just one
17 > processor and one core and then it fails to load modules because of a
18 > different executable format in the modules.
19 >
20 > the strange thing is that opensuse livecd and mandriva live cd
21 > recognize the double processor (/proc/cpuinfo has 2 lines) and is able
22 > to step it in the right way. does anyone has a hint on what to control
23 > in the kernel config to see what's wrong?!
24 >
25 > thanks.
26 >
27 > --
28 > dott. ing. beso
29 If the attempt to boot does not end in a kernel panic;
30 use <shift-page up> to get to the top of the console output produced
31 during boot. If the boot loader has started an SMP kernel, a line
32 similar to this: "Linux Version 2.6.24-gentoo-r8 (root@livecd) (gcc
33 version 4.1.1 (gentoo 4.1.1-r3)) #1 SMP Sat May 24 14:06:10 EDT 2008"
34 should appear. The key word being SMP. No key word, "SMP", means that
35 "make menuconfig" (or whatever kernel configuration tool you use needs
36 to be redone.
37 As far as I know under, Processor type and features,:
38 [*] Symmetric multi-processing support
39 Subarchitecture Type (PC-compatible) --->
40 Processor family (Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8) --->
41 produces an appropriate SMP kernel.
42 A <shift-page down> should reveal a line like:
43 CPU has two num_cores
44 A couple more <shift-page down>:
45 Initializing CPU#0
46 About 3 more <shift-page down>:
47 Brought up 2 CPU's.
48 About modules, I'm guessing modules compiled for single cpu have
49 differences from those compiled for multiple cpu. Also guessing
50 that /etc/modules/autoload.d and/or udev is trying to load single cpu
51 module(s) that were not written to adjust to a single cpu kernel.
55 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list