From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] new clean rebuild
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 16:32:57
1 hi,
2
3 i'm starting to feel a little frustated by the state of my current system:
4 it has quite some misbehavior with stuff like permissions, orphaned files,
5 packages built and still slotted (but are they really needed) and a great
6 deal of static links that now are giving me a little headache.
7 for this reason i've started to manually handle a little the cleaning of the
8 system, but after some days of work i've arrived at the decision that a new
9 rebuild from scratch might be an interesting idea.
10 i haven't started it because it would take some days (about 10 days) to
11 setup the system and i'm thinking of a world rebuild instead.
12 now i'd like to ask you the following questions:
13
14 1. what options should i use to build a whole system that is not statically
15 linked (all of xorg packages, a lot of other packages compile statically
16 linked libraries)?!
17 2. is better to rebuild world and mantain the config files that i have now
18 or to rebuild from scratch and then reconfigure?!
19 3. i'd like to use a cyphered lvm2 partition at least for /home. if i
20 compile the system anew in a chroot on the actual system would i be able to
21 put /home and eventually other stuff on cyphered partitions at the moment in
22 which i would recopy the new system in its definite place (after the chroot
23 new installation would be completed i'd put them in the actual place of the
24 old one from a live cd via cp -a)?
25 4. live packages issues: i need (for the moment) to go with libdrm, x11-drm,
26 mesa, mesa-glcore, dri2proto and xorg-server from git or be unable to run
27 compiz-fusion on my board (x200m) and from all the tests i've been doing i
28 cannot have this configuration to work with kde4 (i'm on svn branch). i like
29 kde4, even if it has some stuff that isn't as good as it was on old 3.5.x,
30 but my system continues to freeze when i try to run it with xorg-server from
31 git. has anyone been able to have xorg-server live ebuild and kde4 to work?!
32 i've looked in a lot of places on the web but haven't been able to find
33 anyone with this configuration around.
34 5. it seems that synaptics and vesa xorg driver don't build on the live
35 version of xorg-server and i was wondering if someone, instead, has had them
36 working?!
37
38 thanks a lot.
41 dott. ing. beso