From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:25:56
1 For any who need opposing information on systemd, check out the
2 following web page:
3
4 http://boycottsystemd.org
5
6 This page was referenced on Slashdot recently and contains
7 a good overview of the undesirability of systemd. Of course,
8 Gentoo is mentioned as one of the few remaining distributions
9 that still offer a choice.
10
11 For me, point #7 is particularly odious:
12
13 "7. systemd is viral by its very nature. Its scope in functionality
14 and creeping in as a dependency to lots of packages means that distro
15 maintainers will have to necessitate a conversion, or suffer a drift.
16 As an example, the GNOME environment has adopted systemd as a hard
17 dependency..."
18
19 I do not oppose systemd. In fact, I'd rather not care about it in the least.
20 But I want to be able to implement the boot process and system configuration
21 in my own way and it seems that systemd will threaten that in the future.
22
23 Take particular note of the end section "What You Can Do." There
24 are plenty of alternatives and such an array of choices is what
25 has always made Linux highly interesting, attractive, and useful.
26 We all need to insist on keeping it this way.