From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] revdep-rebuild vs depclean today...
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:35:22
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I what way can I improve my use of the tools? I don't remember
4 > seeing a case before where revdep-rebuild -ip was clean but emerge
5 > --depclean didn't want to remove files. I.e. - the
6 > sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1 message.
7
8 I think revdep-rebuild is mostly unneeded these days with recent
9 portage versions thanks to the @preserved-rebuild system, at least in
10 my case it does the trick. Based on the above, I bet if you unmerge
11 the version of db that you don't want, emerge would then put the
12 appropriate packages in your @preserved-rebuild set and they'd be
13 rebuilt against the other version of db left over. Kind of like
14 revdep-rebuild but more intelligent, and no need to scan a million
15 files on your system every time. :)
16
17 I think you should run your commands in this order (slightly modified
18 from your above examples to ask instead of preview, so you don't need
19 to run them each twice):
20
21 #eix-sync (or emerge --sync/layman -S or however you sync your portage
22 & overlays)
23 #emerge -avDuN @world (and @system if it's not in your @world set)
24 #emerge -avDuN @preserved-build (if necessary)
25 #emerge --depclean -a
26 #revdep-rebuild -i -- -a (should only be run when the above commands
27 have nothing left to do)
28
29 That's all just my opinion of course :)
30
31 in my case I also use --keep-going so emerge/revdep-rebuild will build
32 as many things as possible even if one package fails.