From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Ffmpeg Emerge Problem
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 00:40:37
1 On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 17:17:11 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> I've had no problems, as best I can
7 >> tell, with ffmpeg and these settings.
10 > Well, if the use of the mmxext flag leads to instructions in
11 > the compiled code which the cpu does not have, then CRASH.
12 >
13 > But the SSE instruction sets supersede MMX (and mmxext) and so the
14 > mmxext flag is really unnecessary on Core i7 and many newer processors.
15 > (Ffmpeg may have reasons for still using MMX but I don't know.)
16 >
17 > Frank Peters
18
19 True, but I don't think it's likely as the old mmxext flags (AMD only
20 possibly?) became a subset of SSE. That said, report the bug and copy
21 us on the report. I'd be interested in hearing what the developers
22 say.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Mark