From: Peter Hoff <petehoff@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:32:43
1 Yes, thinking that running a software based test is going to damage your hardware is silly. Maybe 20 years ago that was possible, but on modern hardware the very idea is absurd. You really should run all of the tests recommended earlier in this thread.
2
3 I don't think you understand what I mean by a "loop" in Memtest. Unless you have run all of the tests at least once, you have not done a loop (there are 8, IIRC). The amount of time you ran it for is irrelevant, as that's totally system dependent. I've had systems with 32M take 3 hours to complete a loop, and I've had systems with 1G do it in less than 45 minutes. Processor type and speed, RAM type and speed, memory controller, system bus... all of these are factors in how long it takes to complete a Memtest loop. BTW, Memtest tells you how many loops it has completed, and it automatically starts over on the first test once it completes the last one.
4
5 As for not wanting to put your fingers on the hardware, that's justifiable, especially if you aren't prepared to protect your equipment from electrostatic discharge. But, warranty questions can't be answered here, you'd have to talk to the vendor you got it from. I'm just telling you what my experience has been. Dell, for example, really doesn't want to pay someone to swap parts for you, and will do everything they can to get you to do it yourself. If you're really that worried about it, though, you could take it to the local computer repair shop. Most of the good ones can handle Linux these days.
6
7 I am also a student, and I have never had $100k to spend on a system, I was just trying to give you an idea of the level of experience I have with hardware testing. Those are systems that I used to test and repair, not systems that I owned.
10 ----- Original Message ----
11 From: Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
12 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
13 Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:48:41 AM
14 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
17 Now wait a minute, not everyone has $100k to spend on a brand new
18 laptop. I'm a student, and I have a single computer to last me through
19 two years of highschool and and at least a few years of college, and
20 there's no way I'm going to screw up my computer without some
21 insurance, ok? Before I run anything on this machine, I'm going to
22 make sure that I'm still under warrantee, whether the parts are user
23 servicable or not. Now if you call that being silly, then that's your
24 choice, but it's my choice if I want to be cautious, even overly so.
25
26 On that note, I did buck up and run memtest86+ from a Ubuntu livecd,
27 and after several loops (about 1h 30 min of straight testing) I didn't
28 get a single error. It was on Test #6 when I stopped, so I think the
29 memory's chill. Besides, as I said before, when I run anything GUI
30 (enlightement, right now), it's fine. I just have to jump in and out
31 of terminal really quickly. The fact that it likes to crash after
32 starting x server twice makes me think I might have a few damaged
33 portions on my harddrive. Does that sound about right? Of course, that
34 sounds like it could be a kernel issue too. If I can figure out how to
35 "downgrade" my kernel, maybe that will solve it.
36
37 I just clicked the "<<plain text" button and the setting has held for
38 this entire thread. Come to think of it, I may have actually converted
39 it back to Rich Text a few weeks back.
40
41 -Peter
42