From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: I can run 32-bit stuff and you can't (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Did devs change phonon flags without rev'ing package?)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 00:48:01
1 I expected quibbling on the ‘need’ to run a 32-bit binary. Fact is,
2 ‘need’ is up to the user, and not up to others. If you want to install
3 the main Firefox binary it is 32-bit; and that’s just one
4 example. Substitute any software name you like in there, as a 32-bit
5 binary; the hardware can run it. Only software can prevent that.
6
7 As I say, the distinction is mainly due to Gentoo having botched
8 multilib support on AMD64. We should have stuck with the original
9 layout, whereby there was no profile distinction and everything 64-bit
10 went in lib. There should be no need to install 32-bit toolchain if
11 you do not want it, regardless of a profile supporting multilib.