From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hard Drive Stress Test Application
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:31:02
1 "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg> posted
2 463017AD.7050401@×××××××××××.sg, excerpted below, on Thu, 26 Apr 2007
3 11:08:29 +0800:
4
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > Just got the Marvell 6145 chip to work using the patch from,
8 > http://marc.info/?l=linux-ide&m=116986924301674&w=2
9 >
10 > Now I need to test to see if it works under stress conditions for my
11 > hard disks.
12 >
13 > Please share some links to applications that can do some stress test for
14 > hard disk. Please note that the application should be command line as
15 > there is no GUI like KDE or Gnome.
16
17 After having a hard drive go out on me a couple years ago, the second one
18 in two years (that one overheated, after the AC went out here in Phoenix,
19 so the room temp could well have been 60 C or higher, and no telling what
20 the drive was), I decided to buy four SATA drives and RAID them together
21 using the kernel RAID (md/mdp). However, before I actually started
22 installing anything on them, I ran badblocks on them, beginning to end,
23 data destructive test (thus the before anything critical is on them is
24 vitally important, tho badblocks does have a couple less intensive modes
25 that aren't data destructive), multiple patterns, repeat-write one
26 pattern one end of the disk to the other, read it back and verify, repeat-
27 write a second pattern, read and verify... IIRC there were four patterns
28 in all, so eight times over the entire 300 gig, four writes, four reads,
29 1.2 TB per drive, four drives, so 4.8 TB written and read.
30
31 Talking that sort of data transfer volume, it obviously took /days/, tho
32 luckily I was able to test the four of them in parallel without adding to
33 the time much, since the bottleneck was the disk read/write speed, not
34 the bus or CPU speed. Of course, that's 100% sequential access, so it
35 didn't stress the seek mechanisms much, but it's also 100% duty cycle, /
36 days/ at a time (two and a half days, IIRC), so it certainly well tested
37 the data path, that is, the chipset, the low level drivers, the i/o path
38 electronics on the drive itself, the read/write heads and disk platters.
39 All four disks passed without incident, so I felt reasonably secure in
40 using them for mixed RAID. FWIW, RAID-6 for the main system, so I can
41 lose two drives without losing data.
42
43 badblocks is part of e2fsprogs, so there's a good chance you have it
44 already merged. =8^) The badblocks manpage tells you what you need to
45 know to run the tests, both destructive and not.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list