From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: .local/share/Trash/
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:16:39
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200608301936.25270.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:36:25 +0200:
4
5 > On Wednesday 30 August 2006 19:16, Duncan wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Or remap as I did, so delete is delete, and trash has no accel.
8 >
9 > well... no.
10 >
11 > I have hit 'del' accidentally several times, and I was glad, that I a) had
12 > turn on confirmation and b) removing is shift-del. Remaping is not an
13 > alternative for me. This is reserved for people with better 'finger control'.
14 >
15 >> There's also a config option to return the delete option to the context
16 >> menu. Control Center > KDE Components > File Manager > Behavior tab,
17 >> near the bottom.
18 >
19 > yeah, and maybe turn on confirmation. ... is might save you some
20 > headaches.
21
22 Well, that goes without saying. I had confirmation on probably from the
23 time of KDE 3.0, and (if it was there) from 2.x. In fact, I have
24 confirmation on for both trash (so I get the popup and can cancel, and
25 delete right) and delete (my reasonable compromise between delete
26 efficiency and trash safety/hassle).
27
28 If I /do/ make a mistake, that's what backups are there for. My most
29 valuable data is the scores of hours invested in my customized config,
30 both as a user and for the machine, and I back that up periodically, when
31 at least my standard working set of applications seems to be working
32 without issue (and after a fresh reboot, ensuring the system init is
33 stable as well). That takes care of most of the fat-fingering
34 possibilities. The fact that I'm running raid-6 for my critical stuff
35 after having a drive partial-fail after overheating last summer, helps on
36 the equipment and power fail reliability side.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list