From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: modules
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:43:05
1 Nuitari posted <Pine.LNX.4.64.0511041904550.4212@××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:05:39 -0500:
3
4 >> Absence of autounloading is not a property of gentoo, but of recent kernels.
5 >> Somewhere along Linux people decided that unloading unused modules is not
6 >> that useful :(
7 >>
8 >> Am I right, actually ?
9 >
10 > I really don't see the point of going to that much trouble to save a few
11 > Kbs of RAM
12
13 Ian described the kernel hackers' achieved conclusion quite accurately in
14 the other subthread -- module unloading wasn't seen as the route to the
15 most stable kernel possible, so it was deemphasized and made optional.
16
17 However, to directly comment on your reply... yes, those few KB of RAM
18 /do/ matter, to many. Consider that kernel memory is by definition
19 /locked/ memory -- it can never be swapped out. On a system with uptime
20 into the weeks and months, not unusual at all for Linux, if you only fire
21 up the CD/DVD drive every couple weeks (to use a personal example that I
22 mentioned earlier in the thread), and that driver remains loaded all the
23 REST of the time as well, that's expensive space in non-swappable physical
24 memory that /could/ be used for (most likely) cache memory, otherwise.
25 Memory is expensive, and I prefer mine doesn't sit around doing nothing,
26 when it can be put to better use, increasing the performance of even a
27 couple lookups a day that might otherwise have been flushed out of
28 physical memory. It's not much, but I'd rather have it than not, since
29 I've paid for the memory and otherwise it's just sitting there inactive.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
35 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list