From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] USB 2.0 falling back to full-speed
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 07:23:49
1 I've recently had to change my MB to a M2A-VM (AMD 690G/ATI SB600
2 chipset), since then I have problems with the USB2.0.
3
4 The syslog most of the times shows at boot the ehci_hcd kernel driver
5 (the 2.0 driver) trying to assign some address to the 2.0 hub, and the
6 hub refusing it or failing with some I/O error. The driver tries 4
7 different addresses, then falls back to ohci_hcd (the 1.1 driver) and
8 works fine but at low speed. The whole procedure takes maybe 1 minute,
9 for this time any peripheral connected to the port will not be detected.
10
11 Google suggested hw problems (e.g. cables), so I installed Windows and
12 did some test, looks like it is working fine at high speed (I used an
13 utility similar to usbview to check the driver tree). I'll do some more
14 testing to exclude the hw problem.
15
16 Note that since 2.6.26 the kernel displays the "unable to enumerate USB
17 device on port x" at every boot, but according to Google it is
18 relatively common and does not harm functionality, so I believe my
19 problem is something else.
20
21 If anybody has some suggestion I'll appreciate.
22
23 raf