From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] exec format errors
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:34:14
1 Jos van Gisbergen wrote:
2 > I'm trying to install gentoo on my athlon 3800+ x2 system, using stage3-amd64*
3 > but when I reach the "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" point I get the error
4 > message "bash: exec format error". It seems *all* binaries on /mnt/gentoo/bin
5 > are not executable. Should I use x86 instead of amd64? It seems illogical.
6
7 My guess is that you are using the x86 livecd. Exec format error usually
8 means the execve system call used to run your program returned ENOEXEC,
9 meaning the kernel did not recognize your executable format.
10
11 Check the executable with `file /bin/bash` to see for which arch the
12 executable is and check which arch your kernel was compiled for `uname
13 -m`. On my system the output is as follows:
14
15 $ file /bin/bash
16 /bin/bash: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
17 GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
18 2.4.1, stripped
19
20 $ uname -m
21 x86_64
22
23 Normally problems using chroot arise through library problems (when
24 attempting to run dynamically linked programs), when the new root you
25 want to change to doesn't have the libraries your (dynamically linked)
26 program needs. The way to fix this is to run `ldd /bin/bash`, look at
27 the output and make sure that these libs are available under the new root.
28
29 Marco
30 --
31 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list