From: Chris Faulkner <cfaulkner70@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Radeon driver update
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:29:58
1 It could be something simple as the right fonts are not loaded and it's
2 using a generic font to display.
3
4 On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5
6 > Duncan wrote:
7 >
8 >> "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
9 >> 495B5F9B.2000902@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 31 Dec 2008
10 >> 07:03:39 -0500:
11 >>
12 >> I updated the xf86-ati-driver package late yesterday and now my fonts
13 >>> are all screwed up. My text is really big compared to what it was
14 >>> before. I thought maybe xorg.conf was re-written but it looks fine to
15 >>> me. As it is, my system is usable but not comfortably so. So what the
16 >>> devil have I done to it?
17 >>>
18 >>
19 >> Knowing the version now... and in cases like this, the version before...
20 >> often helps...
23 > I was running 6.6.3 and then updated to 6.8.0-r1. I'm not running ~amd64.
24 > I'm not running any Xorg overlays, just plain jane Xorg. This system is a
25 > laptop, so the config has been set (and working) for well over 2 years now.
28 >> FWIW, xf86-video-ati-6.9.0 here, on ~amd64, tho I've not updated in a few
29 >> days so it's possible there's an update I've not seen yet if you're running
30 >> ~amd64. Of course, if you're running the xorg overlay, who knows, tho Beso
31 >> mentioned running it at one point if I'm not mistaken.
32 >>
33 >> As to the problem, what sort of monitor(s) are you running and do you have
34 >> its dimensions set? In xorg log (Xorg.0.log), does the monitor detection
35 >> list the dimensions and are they accurate?
38 > The dimensions look like they are set correctly (1280x800):
39 >
40 > (II) RADEON(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
41 > (II) RADEON(0): clock: 68.9 MHz Image Size: 331 x 207 mm
42 > (II) RADEON(0): h_active: 1280 h_sync: 1296 h_sync_end 1344 h_blank_end
43 > 1408 h_border: 0
44 > (II) RADEON(0): v_active: 800 v_sync: 801 v_sync_end 804 v_blanking: 816
45 > v_border: 0
48 > I had to setup a 'Modeline' that corresponded to the correct dimension of
49 > my monitor back when I first setup gentoo on this laptop.
52 >> The reason I ask is that over the years, I've discovered that various X
53 >> component updates (I never pinned down which ones) can have radically
54 >> different ways of calculating the defaults, and that the only way to
55 >> reliably keep it the same was to put the screen measurements in xorg.conf.
56 >> Since then, the drivers have supposedly gotten better at detecting it
57 >> correctly from ddc, but at least with dual monitors and the video-ati driver
58 >> mentioned above, xorg can still get it wrong (and does here, trying to apply
59 >> the dimensions from just one to the combination of both, so the size is
60 >> wildly distorted in one direction).
61 >>
62 >> One of the problems recently seems to be the RandR support, which is
63 >> supposed to be better at "Plug-n-pray" live detection and adjustment, but
64 >> which at least with the video-ati radeon driver on reasonably stable
65 >> multi-monitor desktop system configs is still lacking features and version
66 >> to version stability compared to the previous merged-framebuffer solution.
67 >>
68 >> So anyway, if you've not configured, either thru your desktop environment
69 >> or xorg.conf, a standard dpi or display size (in mm not pixels), do so. It
70 >> should go a long way to ending font size changes based on changeable xorg
71 >> defaults. If your display config is static enough to configure it in xorg,
72 >> the setting to configure is DisplaySize, in the Monitor section in newer
73 >> RandR style configs (they put it there so you could specify them per
74 >> monitor, since monitors are supposed to be plug-n-pray with RandR, now), I
75 >> forgot where in old configs, but see the xorg.conf manpage. Or in KDE
76 >> 3.5.10, you can set DPI in the main font config dialog. YMMV in other KDE
77 >> versions or other DEs.
80 > I don't think I've setup a standard DPI or display size in my xorg.conf
81 > file. I don't recall doing so and I"ve not touched that config file in over
82 > a year. How/where do I do that in xorg.conf?
87 > --
88 > Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione
89 > quadraturae circuli
90 >
91 > Mark Haney
92 > Sr. Systems Administrator
93 > ERC Broadband
94 > (828) 350-2415
95 >
96 > Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
102 Chris Faulkner
103 615-653-4400 (Skype: chris.faulkner615)
104 Linux/Unix/Windows Network Engineer
105
106 LinkedIn TeamNashville Group: 1100+ members:
107 http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=76329
108 BBS Enthusiast group: http://groups.google.com/group/80sbbs