From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Systemd Was: Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd [...]
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 19:21:25
1 Duncan posted on Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:45:14 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > 2b) I wasn't satisfied with the default gpm unit file config either, but
4 > by the time I got to that, I knew .includes were deprecated, and was in
5 > the process of trying to figure out what the allusion to *.d/*.conf was
6 > all about.
7 >
8 > But once I figured that out for random-seed, I was quickly able to add
9 > /etc/systemd/system/gpm.service.d/execstart.conf , with a customized
10 > ExecStart= line. =:^)
11
12 Turned out that didn't work after all. I thought the modified ExecStart
13 line would replace the previous one and thought it was working but I
14 guess I hadn't tried a console mouse yet, as that didn't work. I was
15 getting an error due to the two execstart lines where only one was
16 allowed.
17
18 So I ended up dup-ing the entire gpm.service file from /usr to /etc and
19 editing the execstart line as necessary.
20
21 > 5) A couple remaining minor service failures:
22 >
23 > 5a) ntp.service is still failing, for some reason.
24
25 > Based on an aside-comment I read when researching something else, I
26 > already have one lead to check on this one -- the comment said systemd's
27 > privatetmp option doesn't play well with /var/tmp being a symlink to /
28 > tmp, and that's what I have here (with /tmp in turn being tmpfs), and I
29 > think the ntp unit might use privatetmp, so... But I've yet to confirm,
30 > and then I'll have to look for alternatives, so...
31
32 That was it. PrivateTmp doesn't like a symlinked /var/tmp.
33
34 So I reset /var/tmp to a directory and setup an fstab entry to bind-mount
35 the /tmp tmpfs to /var/tmp as well. Seems to be working at first blush,
36 tho I haven't rebooted enough times yet to be sure there's no possible
37 service dependency issues with it, but so far, it's working. =:^)
40 > 5b) On openrc, I have a custom user-bootclean service that cleans up a
41 > few stray user files at boot, that systemd created an attempted port
42 > for, except it's failing. I've not investigated that one at all yet,
43 > but just as I write this it occurs to me that the problem might be yet
44 > another symlinked path mount-dependency issue, so I now have one lead to
45 > investigate on that one, too.
46
47 I haven't fully figured out why it's failing yet, but I think I can
48 manage that with a tmpfiles.d entry. And openrc supports tmpfiles.d as
49 well, so if I setup such an entry, openrc will hopefully handle that too,
50 and I can simply delete the /etc/local.d/*.start file that's failing.
51 That should be the clean modern solution in any case.
52
53 But I'm too sleepy now to think straight, so I'll have to sleep on
54 actually setting up and testing that one, lest I make a stupid mistake
55 and end up deleting the entire user's homedir!
60 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman