From: Chris S <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Root on Raid and LVM
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:57:00

This is not an really an AMD64 issue, although the system is an nForce4
SLI with nv sata.

In short, I'm trying to get my Gentoo system built on an lvm group on
top of raid5, but it won't go.

I am using a genkernel --lvm2 created initrd but when it searches for
raid volumes it find nothing! (I did also have --dmraid but I think
that's for those "sudo hardware" onboard raid controllers)
However, if I boot to the kernel directly without an initrd, it DOES
find the raid devices (but then fails, naturally, because it can't find
lvm volumes).

Essentially I have:
sda5, b5, c5, d5 all on a linux software raid 5 array (/dev/md5) -
partition types are all "fd".
I then have an lvm group called "system" under that, and then volumes
"slash" and "home" under that.

Have tried 2.6.13 gentoo-sources and 2.6.14 mm-sources.

I've read about a new bootloader option, lvmraid, but I have yet to try
adding "lvmraid=/dev/md5" to grub's kernel line.
However, it seems strange that the initrd is not picking up the raid

Any thoughts?