From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:48:33
1 Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> skribis:
2 > Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org wrote:
3 >
4 > > I guess the best question might be ‘Why do you want -fpic?’
8 > I use prelink [1] which requires PIC in order to work. At least that is
9 > true for X86. That is the only reason - I suppose if it works on x86_64
10 > it would have the same requirements.
11
12 Alright. Another reason would be to use PaX for security. I’ve used
13 PaX and what I did for that, to get PIC code, was to use the
14 ‘hardened’ 3.x compiler. The ‘hardened no SSP’ setting would be the
15 one for prelink, I think.
16
17 When I really want a program to start quickly, though, I use the
18 sticky bit, so the program stays in memory. I think this is the
19 default for GNU Emacs.
23 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
24 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
25 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
26 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)