From: "Kris Kersey (Augustus)" <augustus@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Planning a new box - AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:23:53
1 Not to start an argument but from personal experience I have never had a
2 problem with NVIDIA or Broadcom chips. Sometimes Marvell has not been as
3 good though.
4
5 Thanks,
6 Kris Kersey (Augustus)
7 LinuxHardware.org Site Manager
8 augustus@×××××××××××××.org
9 Gentoo Linux AMD64 Developer
10 augustus@g.o
11 AIM: Augustus22
12
13 On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, P.V.Anthony wrote:
14
15 > On this day, 10-November-2007 11:11 PM, Conway S. Smith wrote:
16 >> I'm in the planning stages of assembling a new box for myself @ home,
17 >> and I'm debating if I want to go with AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon. I've
18 >> been focusing on Tyan motherboards, as I've heard here on the list that
19 >> they've got really excellent Linux (and general) support. In the past
20 >> I've mostly gone w/ AMD CPUs, as they had a significantly better
21 >> price:performance ratio, but it's been a few years since I last did a
22 >> lot of shopping around, and I'm starting to think things may have
23 >> changed. I'm still leaning towards AMD Opterons (Barcelona), but I'm
24 >> interested in hearing everyone else's opinions.
25 >
26 > I know that AMD cpus are better but I had some problems with the onboard
27 > network chips. Most of the motherboards come with some Marvell, Broadcom or
28 > Nvidia network chips and these chips did not work for me.
29 >
30 > I choose Intel chipset motherboards with Intel network because their network
31 > cards are really good.
32 >
33 > The drivers in the kernel are really good for me.
34 >
35 > P.V.Anthony
36 > --
37 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list