From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: dev-db/libdbi-0.8.3 failed
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:22:33
1 Paul Stear posted on Mon, 07 Sep 2009 09:06:26 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > syslog-ng wants to update libdbi but it keeps failing
4
5 I run syslog-ng here and don't have libdbi merged at all. USE flags,
6 maybe? Here's mine (from an emerge --pretend --verbose):
7
8 "caps pcre ssl -hardened -ipv6 (-selinux)
9 -spoof-source -sql -static -tcpd"
10
11 Doing an esearch on libdbi, I get this as its description:
12
13 libdbi implements a database-independent abstraction
14 layer in C, similar to the DBI/DBD layer in Perl.
15
16 The keyword there is "database". Based on that and the USE flags,
17 I'd assume syslog-ng pulling in libdbi based on the sql flag. Let's
18 see... grepping the ebuild (v 3.0.4) for sql yields this among other
19 lines:
20
21 sql? ( >=dev-db/libdbi-0.8.3 )"
22
23 So I'm correct.
24
25 Is there any particular reason you are building syslog-ng with sql
26 support? If you're using that feature, turning off the USE flag probably
27 isn't something you want to do, but it's a simple enough work-around if
28 you're not using the feature anyway.
29
30 If you do turn it off, an emerge --depclean might be worth running, to
31 see if libdbi is used by anything else. Of course, if you're used to
32 keeping your system reasonably cruft-free already, you'll likely already
33 be running routine depcleans, and if you aren't, depclean may well want
34 to remove a whole slew of stuff, some of which you might not want removed
35 even if it's not a dependency of something in your world file yet, which
36 is of course why you're supposed to use either --ask or --pretend to see
37 what portage is going to do, before you actually allow it to do it.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman