From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Updating An Unconnected Machine
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:03:36
1 On 04/29/2010 03:09 PM, Dmitri Pogosyan wrote:
2 > you can copy portage and distro files from connected machine (i.e it
3 > will just serve as your local mirror), but you need to run emerge -Du
4 > world on the unconnected machine, since it has different CFLAGS
7 With portage (and not necessarily other package managers) it updates
8 everything it needs to when you run any command, like an emerge -pu world.
9
10 I'd also note that I think the default rsync install in gentoo gives you
11 an rsyncd.conf that will share /usr/portage. If you get rid of the
12 distfiles exclude in it that might be a really easy option for you.
13 Just change your make.conf to point to your other internal box and do an
14 emerge --sync.
15
16 I think that paludis might need a few extra commands to regenerate its
17 cache files, but I'm not 100% on how portage metadata caching works and
18 how other PMs handle this.
19
20 When I make chroots I usually just bind mount or copy /usr/portage as
21 needed. Just used the rsync trick to update my EC2 ami an hour ago...
22
23 Rich