From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 64 or 32?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:02:14
1 > Thank you all for your answers (I'm not going to quote them all). A special
2 > thank to Duncan.
3 > I sure have to get more understanding of how to run 32bit apps on a 64bit
4 > distro - I am willing to learn but you'll probably have to suffer a lot of
5 > questions from me. But this does not seem to be a problem on this list :)
6
7 There is indeed no problem to run 32-bit, precompiled by gentoo, programs.
8 You just have to install a bunch of emulation libraries. There is no chroot
9 environment to set up or anything else. Openoffice-bin, mplayer-bin, firefox-bin
10 (if you need flash) all just run.
11
12 More needs to be done if you want to _compile_ 32-bit programs yourself.
13 Or if you use precompiled binaries not from gentoo, there is a chance they are
14 compiled against the libraries not in gentoo emul packages (but if they are
15 compiled statically - no problem again).
20 > I'll think it over again, but I think I'll go for a compromise (we swiss are
21 > well known for this way of doing, aren't we?): I have a working Mepis 32bit
22 > (the distribution I use on my "old" main machine. SO I'll probably build a
23 > 64bit Gentoo and I can switch the day I feel it works the way I like.
24 >
25 > Thanks again for your advices.
26 >
27 > Thierry
28 >
29 > --
30 > The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
31 > capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
32 > safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
33 > Frank Zappa
34 > --
35 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
40 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
41 Associate Professor University of Alberta
42 tel 1-780-492-2150 412 Avadh Bhatia Physics Labs
43 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2J1, CANADA
47 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list