From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: openoffice 2 compiles?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:43:52
1 Chris Smart posted <437050B6.7000208@××××××××××××.net>, excerpted below,
2 on Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:16:06 +1100:
3
4 > Dmitri Pogosyan wrote:
5 >
6 >>The claim is amd64 compilation is planned for 2.0.2
9 > cheers, for some reason I thought you could compile it on an amd64 arch
10 > but not as an actual 64bit app (ie in 32bit mode using emul).
11
12 You should be able to compile it as 32-bit, tho from what I've read it's
13 easier to do the 32-bit chroot and do it there than chase down whatever
14 32-bit stuff on 64-bit outside of a chroot.
15
16 Among other things, the java stuff is problematic, again, from what I've
17 read. For both running the binary package and for compiling from source,
18 the Java stuff tries to use 64-bit Java, which naturally won't work trying
19 to link that against 32-bit OOo. Do it in the chroot, and it can't see
20 anything 64-bit, so it can't link against it. It has no choice but to go
21 32-bit.
22
23 Of course, the problem is that if this is your first and only 32-bit app
24 you really want to compile, doing an entire chroot just for it is a /lot/
25 of work. In that case, even I'd probably go with the 32-bit pre-packaged
26 binary.
27
28 Now what might be the /interesting/ way to do it, for those that have
29 several machines including some x86 machines, would be to compile it from
30 source on them, then try to move it over. (As usual, be very careful
31 about merging 32-bit packages, binary or not, on 64-bit -- they say don't
32 do it at all, but if you manually verify that it's not overwriting
33 anything 64-bit, and manually verify dependencies, it /might/ be made to
34 work. If it breaks, tho, you get to keep the pieces!)
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
40 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list