From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 03:02:58
1 Alex Alexander wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 18:55, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm thinking, AT THE MOMENT, of going multilib and grub-static. That way
5 >> down the road, I can switch to no-multilib and not have to reinstall grub.
6 >> To simple huh?
7 >>
8 >> Dale
9 >>
10 >> :-) :-)
14 > There's absolutely no reason for you not to use multilib.
15 >
16 > Why waste the opportunity to run 32bit applications? You'll never
17 > regret running multilib, infact you'll soon forget it. If, on the
18 > other hand, you choose to run no-multilib, one day you'll have to run
19 > a 32bit app (that day will come, simple Murphy laws) and you'll have
20 > to set up a 32bit chroot for it :)
21 >
22 > Grub is *not* an issue, I've never used grub-static on any amd64
23 > system, sys-boot/grub works great. Lilo works, yes, but it really is
24 > old tech. Grub's interactive boot menu is invaluable and can save you
25 > when something goes wrong.
26 >
27 > Don't forget that the current multilib implementation doesn't compile
28 > things twice. It just provides the environment and 32bit libraries
29 > required for 32bit applications to build and run. Anything that
30 > supports 64bit builds and runs as 64bit, period :)
34 I'm working on installing the GUI part now. I did go multilib for now.
35 This should work better until everything works with 64 bit. I sure
36 would hate to run into a problem with something I have to have and then
37 have to reinstall all this again.
38
39 I did go with grub-static. Plain grub pulled in something HUGE. This
40 is one less program to have to deal with.
41
42 Thanks.
43
44 Dale