From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] not amd64 specific - disk failure
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:05:18
1 Yesterday evening I had one 250Gb SATA disk Maxtor MaXLine Plus II fail.
2 The drive is formatted as ext3, single partition (sdc1), no RAID, used
3 as an archive of divx movies, completely full with data. Motherboard is
4 ASUS M2NPV-VM (Nvidia Nforce 430 chipset), I can easily mount it on an
5 ASUS K8V SE (Via K8T800 chipset) if it helps.
6
7 At boot the syslog shows (more or less):
8
9 I/O buffer read error: logical block 0
10 I/O buffer read error: logical block 1
11
12 Any attempt to mount /dev/sdc1 results in tens of the above message
13 (plus other details I don't remember right now) and finally fails.
14
15 fdisk -l shows the partition table as it should be.
16
17 It was late night so I gave up. Are there any chances to recover my data
18 by e.g. specifying a different superblock (whatever that is)? Any links
19 to help me?
20
21 thanks,
22
23 raffaele
24
25 PS I bought the drive in 2005 and I've used it only to archive movies,
26 so very little. It' the last Maxtor I buy (ok, also because it's Seagate
27 now..)
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list