From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:28:39
1 Jason wrote:
2 >
3 > You may want to look at specifying root by it's UUID. This will
4 > prevent issues like the USB drive being /dev/sdg on one machine,
5 > /dev/sdb on another, and on reboot it all changing because the drives
6 > were detected in a different order.
9 I have tried that and booting by UUID never worked for me except once in
10 past on some particular kernel. I can put an UUID in /etc/fstab, but not
11 as kernel boot parameter.
12 I did some googling about that and found soemthing about that UUID as
13 kernel parameter was a hack which was thrown out and that they don't
14 intend to support it in the future.
15 It's aong the lines of "if you don't like anything about booting
16 procedure, boot from initramfs, do what you have to do and then do
17 pivot_root "...
20 > In the past, instead of 'rootdelay=', I add a wait to the init script,
21 > eg:
22 >
23 > while [ ! -e /dev/disk/by-uuid/1234-abcd-45gf-0659 ]
24 > do
25 > sleep 0.1
26 > done
27 And how do you do that when you are trying to get to root partition
28 after kernel initialisation ? At that moment you can't run a script,
29 since you don't have an access to any partition.
30 You could use initrd/initramfs, but seems like a lot of complications
31 for little gain...
32
33 Branko
34 --