From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Upgrade from single to dual core CPU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:26:21
1 B Vance posted <1138220390.11529.4.camel@×××××××××××.ShadowRealm>,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:19:50 -0500:
3
4 > Thank you for explaining that Duncan. Guess it's time for me to start
5 > reading a bit more then I have lately.
6
7 Take a look at the stuff "Hannibal" has written for ArsTechnica. The
8 articles are originally released "gratis" in HTML format. PDFs are
9 available to ArsTech registered members (paid). He's very good at
10 including lots of nice diagrams and the like, and explaining things in
11 normal English. Reading the articles doesn't require all sorts of
12 technical literacy. He also put out some articles explaining what pixel
13 shaders and the like are, and how modern graphics cards work, again, with
14 all sorts of nice diagrams and easily understood explanations that
15 actually help one understand what it is those $500 cards have in them that
16 allows them to charge that kind of money!
17
18 ArsTechnica is of course a tech forum primarily aimed at gamers, altho
19 they cover enough other stuff to be on my knewsticker feed (I don't
20 consider myself a gamer). http://arstechnica.com
21
22 The early article list: http://arstechnica.com/cpu/index.html
23
24 Of special interest:
25 Understanding Bandwidth and Latency (11/2002), Understanding the
26 Microprocessor (12/2002), Understanding Pipelining and Superscalar
27 Execution (12/2002), and Intro to 64-bit Computing and x86-64 (3/2003).
28
29 The second list, bottom of http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu.ars
30
31 Of interest there:
32 Intro to Multithreading, Superthreading, and Hyperthreading, Pipelining
33 parts I & II, and Inside AMD's Hammer: the 64-bit arch behind the Otperon
34 and Athlon 64.
35
36 Of course, if you are interested in articles on the Power arch, Intel's
37 stuff, and the XBox 360, there are articles on that and more there as well.
38
39 I /believe/ I've seen some of his articles reprinted elsewhere, too.
40 I stumbled upon one that I recognized while googling at one point, on some
41 Linux related site, IIRC. However, I'm not sure whether that was
42 single-time or a regular thing, or how much after Ars gets them they can
43 be reprinted elsewhere.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
49 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list