From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 18:32:08
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:40:59 -0500
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Honestly, there is no shortage of people offering their opinions.
7 > > What there is a shortage of is people actually doing work to make
8 > > (e)udev do anything differently. In the end people can complain as
9 > > much as they want, but unless they fork over effort or dollars or
10 > > something they won't get terribly far.
13 > Work? What work?
14 >
15 > I have never used udev/eudev/mdev or anything similar and, if I am allowed
16 > to nave a choice, I never will.
17 >
18 > Manually creating a /dev tree that perfectly reflects ones own system
19 > is rather trivial. That's how Linux used to be and that's how Linux,
20 > for the most part, still is. There is, or at least should be, no need
21 > for udev or any substitute for udev.
22 >
23 > IOW, udev should be developed as a nice, helpful option for those who
24 > want such nice, helpful options. But it always should be just that: optional.
25 > Once it stops being a choice then we begin to deviate greatly from
26 > the once sacrosanct principles of free software.
27
28 I second everything here. There is very little achieved by udev that
29 is of any appreciable benefit to a Gentoo user, who could easily
30 create nodes and set their permissions without having to do anything
31 complicated.
32
33 (Disclaimer: Currently I am using eudev, without pleasure.)