From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Switching profiles
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:45:26
1 Yuri Pimenov <yuri@×××××××××××××.com> skribis:
2 > Simon Stelling wrote:
3 > >Yuri Pimenov wrote:
4 > >> Today I switched my profile from x86 to amd64 and have problems rebuilding the system.
5 > >> I know that AMD64 FAQ states that it is impossible to upgrade from x86 to amd64,
6 > >> and it's better to perform the "fresh install". But is that really so?
7 > >
8 > >Do you think we don't know what we're saying? Please, follow the docs and do a fresh install.
9 > >
10 > Nope, I supposed that this FAQ may be little bit outdated. Besides the question was in meaning
11 > "why I can't do that"? FAQ tells nothing for a curious one.
12
13 The main reason is that your x86 installation has neither the
14 libraries nor the tools to run or build amd64 programs, and never
15 will.
19 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
20 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
21 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
22 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)