From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: World file messed up
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:10:31
1 Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
2 1227503684.16775.4.camel@Gaius, excerpted below, on Mon, 24 Nov 2008
3 06:14:44 +0100:
4
5 > for some reason my world file is kind of messed up. I used regenworld to
6 > restore it to it's old self, but that didn't quite work as well as I
7 > hoped it would.
8 >
9 > I also rebuild everything, in the hope that would lead to that the
10 > packages would be added to the world file.
11 >
12 > No success.
13 > And since I tend to experiment a lot with ebuilds, I use emerge
14 > --depclean -pv quite often. But when I do this now, it wants to remove
15 > stuff I don't want to be removed.
16 >
17 > Any thoughts on this?
18
19 Try emerge with the -n/--noreplace option, which is sort of the reverse
20 of -1/--oneshot (and not to be confused with -N/--newuse). If the
21 package is already merged, -n just adds it to the world file without
22 actually remerging it. Then --depclean won't try to remove it or its
23 dependencies.
24
25 I do this all the time since I use --oneshot in my (stub-scripted) normal
26 emerge commands. Unless I know I want to keep it (in which case I use a
27 special version without the --oneshot), I'll use a script that adds -1 by
28 default. That way I can try out a package and decide if I like it,
29 before either adding it to world using emerge -n or --depcleaning it and
30 dependencies. Then, since I always use -a or -p as well, when I run
31 --depclean I'll get a list of packages I haven't decided on yet. I
32 seldom run --depclean and let it do its thing, preferring to use emerge
33 -C to unmerge packages on the list specifically, if I've decided not to
34 keep them, or emerge -n to add them to my world file if I do want to keep
35 them. If I've not decided yet, they just sit in the list, but that
36 doesn't happen very long for very many packages, and my --depclean -p
37 list is usually empty.
38
39 Also note the --with-bdeps=<y|n> option. Since I always want build
40 dependencies retained, I have EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTIONS="--with-bdeps=y" set
41 (along with --keep-going and --nospinner, but the bdeps option is what is
42 important here). Otherwise, --depclean will always want to unmerge build
43 dependencies as they aren't needed to actually run the package, only to
44 build it.
45
46 That's what I find works for me. YMMV.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman